Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Pain of Denial

I was listening to an older song by Third Day called “Can’t Take the Pain” (lyrics below). This song is about Peter’s denial of Christ (Matthew 26:69-75) and the pain he felt afterward; and how that pain doesn’t compare to the pain Jesus suffered for him. I think God used this song to speak to my heart. I can’t escape it. Here’s what he said: “Every time you sin, you deny my Son. Every time you get full of yourself, you deny my Son. Every time you think you’re doing fine without me, you deny my Son. Every minute you don’t cry out to me, you deny my Son.”

The last verse strikes me particularly hard. I can’t even fathom why Jesus would suffer for me or for all. I am so completely unworthy of it, yet He suffered scourge and crucifixion anyway. “But God showed how much he loved us by having Christ die for us, even though we were sinful” (Romans 5:8, Contemporary English Version). It grieves my heart to imagine that every time I sin I’m denying Him.

In an earlier post (Bound & Broken, March 9, 2009) I mentioned that my prayer was for a broken and contrite heart. Hmm…

No, I didn't see this one coming
It suddenly snuck up on me
I can't say you didn't tell me so
I can't say you didn't warn me

I can't take the pain of knowing that I left You
I can't bear the shame of knowing I was wrong
But I'll take the blame for everything that I've done
I can't take the pain of leaving you alone
Of leaving you alone

I was there when they accused you
but I guess I was too afraid
Not just once and not just twice
But three times I denied your name

I never thought I'd get even a second chance
But you've given that and so much more
And then for every time I ever did deny
You ask me if I love you, You know I do, Lord

So I'm off to follow in your steps
it won't be easy, it's safe to say
There are only tow roads I can walk on down
The road less traveled is the one you paved

Lord, You took the pain even though I left You
And You took the shame and You made it all Your own
Why'd you take the blame for everything that I've done?
Lord, You took the pain
You and You alone, You and You alone


Authors: Brad Avery, David Carr, Mac Powell, Mark Lee, Tai Anderson
Copyright 1999 New Spring (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.)
Vandura 2500 Songs (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)

3 comments:

  1. I've sometimes thought: what would I have done in Peter's position? The answer is probably just the same. As you say, why would Jesus undertake to suffer the way He did? All I can say without being very long-winded is, to repeat the words: "Behold, how He loved." Properly read, this statement is an expression of absolute awe. 'How could He do it?' It is beyond belief for anyone of mere human flesh. The point is, no-one else could - and nothing else would save the human race, each of us stained with sins. Perhaps that is why Moses was told he could not look upon the face of God, only God's back. God is of a nature beyond our comprehension in certain ways, and in whose presence we could not stand without the saving actions of the Messiah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, now I have to dig that CD out and hear that song again. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your post. It was great to hear from someone who has suffered through the same thing.

    This is how I got the black background:

    1. When you sign on to blogger go to the “Layout” tab at the top.

    2. Click on “pick new template”

    3. The template is called “minima dark”. For me, it’s the first template you see on the top right corner. There are four different options for the minima template. There is a “minima”, a “minima dark”, a “minima blue”, and a “minima ochre”. I’m not sure what the default is that you will be looking at. But you need to click the “minima dark” button to get the black template.

    4. From there it’s just a simple “save template”.

    Hope that helps. Let me know if it doesn’t work.

    ReplyDelete