Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tired of the status quo?

Yeah...I am. It seems there's never anything new or different going on. Same old stuff in the news.; Obama and Clinton bickering, celebrity gossip, glorification of horrendous crimes committed. Reality TV shows have reached the ridiculous. Case in point: the reality shows on MTV and VH1. (If you've not seen them, don't bother; they're ridiculuous and grossly immoral).

But television wasn't intended to be my focus here. The status quo is what I'm talking about. Same old, same old. For instance, you go to work, do your job, go home, eat some food, perhaps do stuff around the house or yard. Occassionally there's some other functions such as kids sports, or ministry functions that occupy our time, but again, the same old stuff.

CHURCH: again the same old thing every week. Go to church, play some music, sing some songs, here some announcements, here a sermon, blah blah blah, yada yada yada! Yeah, there's some praying thrown in the mix, but it seems staged. (Don't get me wrong here. In no way do I intend to communicate any derogatory statements about our Pastoral Staff, church staff or Deacons.) I'm not even sure what it is I'm trying to pinpoint, but suffice it to say that there seems to be a lack of sincere desire (?) to seek the face of God. And I think that I'm the most guilty of that part of the time.

Anyway, perhaps I'm complaining about nothing, but I'm always wondering: "Is this all there is?" I know I'm probably not alone in that thought and I know the solution. I need to sincerely seek the face of God, putting everything else away for the moment. Matthew 10:37-39 says: "If you love your father or mother or even your sons and daughters more than me, you are not fit to be my disciples. And unless you are willing to take up your cross and come with me, you are not fit to be my disciples. If you try to save your life, you will lose it. But if you give it up for me, you will surely find it."

I guess I need to give up trying this on my own.

3 comments:

  1. Hi bill, yes I am tired of the status quo. I look forward to the Second Coming, but there seems to be much to do first. I write Christian fantasy, and if you enjoy reading it may I suggest a title to try? "Outcasts of Skagaray" was written out of Christian horror at how the world treats too many people. Excerpts can be seen on www.threeswans.com.au It is my Christian protest against the way of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments Andrew. I do enjoy Christian fiction and your book sounds very intriguing. I will be buying a copy soon. Too bad I can't get hold of a copy before I fly cross country this week! And you are right, there is much to do before Christ comes again and instead of getting lost in my own emotion, I need to be about the work of spreading the Gospel. Thanks again for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again, Bill. Good to hear back from you. Your blog makes a worthwhile read. And some timely thoughts. There have been times when Christians have lived through seeing the boat rocked severely around them. For one obvious example, Noah and his family must have found their experience quite alarming even though they were kept safe. As the Book tells us, the power of God is frightening just as it is awesome in saving us. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete