Thursday, January 22, 2009

Skeptics... am I among them?

Today I was studying John 6:30-7:13. This passage talks about skeptics. In John 6:60, many of the disciples began to complain about Jesus’ teaching. It was too hard for them to swallow. The only reason they hung around up to this point was because they saw a miracle and got a free meal. (Of fish and bread, Yummo!) Jesus has been telling them that the bread of life comes from heaven and that this bread is his flesh, which he would eventually “give for the life of the world.” (John 6:51) He goes on to tell them in verse 62, “So what if you see me ascend back up to heaven to be with God? All this I’m telling you is of the Sprit, which gives life, which came from the Father. You think you might believe then? Not likely!” (Very loose paraphrase!) Of course Jesus already knew who would believe and who wouldn’t.

Then a little later, as Jesus went around Galilee—perhaps teaching here and there, but avoiding the ones who wanted him killed—even his own brothers began to show their skepticism. They sarcastically tell him he should go to Judea and do some miracles. “If you want to become a public figure, don’t you think you should start putting on a show?” (Loose paraphrase of John 7:4) They wanted him to draw attention to himself and start being the Savior they thought he should be.

In both cases, the “offenders” were half-hearted believers who couldn’t buy into the idea that Jesus is the bread of life or that he is the Savior on God’s terms and not theirs. This is my conviction!

How often do I choose to not obey because God’s Word is too hard to swallow?
How often do I become a little sarcastic about what Jesus is trying to teach me!
How often do I half-heartedly seek God not really expecting that He’ll be there to meet me?
How often do I skeptically pray, not really expecting to receive an answer?



What do you come up with if you ask yourself these questions?

3 comments:

  1. I would have to plead guilty to some of those questions. There are times when I lack a full-hearted faith, otherwise I would not get exasperated, because I would remember the words "In all circumstances give thanks for this is God's will for you." Whatever happens, God had allowed or caused for His reasons, which are of perfect judgement. It is a point worth remembering. By the way, the story you recounted to me was a classic! Thanks for forwarding it. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So often I find myself fighting the skepticism of the people all around me. Being a Christian in America is not always easy. People think you’re stupid, ignorant, unscientific, and old fashioned. You have to be ready to defend yourself. But the I try to defend my faith, the more my own skepticism grows. I seem to get lost in thought instead of letting the Word transform my thoughts. I lose sight of the cross I’m suppose to bear, and can only feed my pride.

    Thank you for this post. It has reminded me of the fundamental thing Christ asked us to do; lose ourselves. I pray my thoughts will be focused more on these types of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, thank you for your words of encouragement to my first post. I am truly looking forward to sharing Kingdom thoughts, ideas, and questions with you. I so appreciate your questions from the John 6 & 7 passage. It is so easy for me to point a finger and ask, "What was wrong with them...what were they thinking...do they not know??? One of the many things God has patiently tried to teach me over the years is, "Lee, ask yourself the question/s first". So, Bill, thanks for this reminder and for a time of reflection. TK

    ReplyDelete